Matthew Sparks State of Emergency in Norfolk, Floods Hampton Roads
Heavy rain from Hurricane Matthew has flooded numerous streets in Hampton Roads and led to a state of emergency in Norfolk.
While the force of the hurricane winds had lessened by the time they reached North Carolina, Matthew remained a dangerous storm. Three deaths were reported in North Carolina. Trees which were already weakened by the tropical storm of last month were brought down across Hampton Roads. More than 10 inches of rain fell overnight Saturday and on Sunday morning in parts of Hampton Roads.
Parts of Hampton Road are waterlogged again with Norfolk, Portsmouth, and Hampton bearing the brunt as well as areas like Deep Creek in Chesapeake. You should stay off roads unless it's absolutely necessary and don't drive into floodwater. More flooding is expected on Sunday. Sentara BelleHarbour Emergency Department was reported to be without power on Sunday morning. Here's a list of streets that are closed or impassable as of early Sunday from local media sites or city websites.
- Ambler Avenue close to Azalea Garden
- Arcadia Street at the intersection of Scott Street
- Tidewater Drive at East Virginia Beach Blvd.
- East Virginia Beach Blvd. at Park Avenue
- Raby Street at Saber Street
- East Mercury at North Curry and Libby Streets
- La Salle and West Queen Street
- The 400 block of North Armisted Avenue. It's impassable at West Queen Street and Mercury Avenue.
- Big Bethel Road and Joynes Road
- Big Bethel Road at Saunders Road, Semple Farm Road and Todds Lane.
- Clemwood Drive is closed at Apollo Drive
- Charlton Road at Westbrook Drive.
- .Powhatan Parkway is closed at West Pembroke Avenue
- Coliseum Road between Sign Way and Coliseum Crossing.
- Parts of Fox Hill Road
- East Pembroke Road at Woodland Road.
- Carolina Road at the turnoff to the Great Dismal Swamp
- 8800 block of Hosier Road
- Lake Cahoon Road/North Joyner Court
- Shoulders Hill Road from Pughsville Road to Nansemond Parkway
- Whaleyville Boulevard/Copeland Road
- County Street/Mill Street
- 1300 block of Holland Road
- 3100 block of Carolina Road
- 2300 block of Wilroy Road
- Nansemond Parkway/Bennetts Pasture Road
- Turtle Pond/Mill Lake Road
- 1000 block of West Washington Street
- Closures were reported at the southbound side of the James River Bridge
- Jefferson Avenue. near Gambol St. closed suffered closures due to downed power lines in Newport News.
- Antrim and Adams Drive
- Orcutt Avenue and Briarfield Road
- 27th Street and Buxton Avenue
- 27th Street and Parish Avenue.
Widespread flooding was reported in Olde Towne and Port Norfolk. City parking garages were open.
Isle of Wight
- The southbound side of the James River Bridge
- Route 17 was reported impassable.
- Route 258 in Walters
- Carrsville Highway, just east of Franklin
- Route 460 East and West is closed at West and East Windsor Boulevards.
- Route 641 North and South
- Route 460 at Yellow Hammer Road, near Blackwater Bridge.
- Route 603 East and West
- Route 665 South and North
- Route 612 at Sunset Drive
- Route 665 North and South.
See this Virginia Department of Transportation list for updated main road closures and advisoties. It may take the emergency services time to clear downed trees and to restore power. Stay off the roads if possible. If you are involved in an accident, call us at (757) 455-0077.