Accessible Medical Malpractice Lawyers Win Big Cases in Virginia
Pushing for your rightful compensation for doctors' errors
The United States boasts one of the most sophisticated and advanced healthcare systems in the world. Our doctors, nurses, and other healthcare providers receive some of the world’s most comprehensive and rigorous training. Despite this, thousands of men, women, and children sustain injuries every year due to medical malpractice. All too often, the patients harmed have no idea that their injuries were caused by negligent medical professionals — and even if they suspect their doctor of negligence, they wouldn’t know where to begin proving their case. At Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers, our team has decades of experience in holding negligent medical professionals accountable for their mistakes, and to compensate injured patients for the harm done to them.
Types of medical malpractice
According to the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), more than 225,000 wrongful deaths nationwide are caused by medical malpractice every year. In addition to loss of life, brain injuries caused by medical malpractice and a number of other injuries affect hundreds of thousands of patients.
Some common types of medical malpractice include:
- Emergency room errors — With a chaotic environment and the need for quick diagnosis, it's little wonder that many mistakes happen in the emergency room.
- Surgical errors — Surgical errors can happen in the operating room or in an urgent care facility, specialist’s office or ambulatory center. These errors include operating on the wrong body part and leaving surgical instruments inside patients.
- Medication errors — Even with the implementation of electronic prescriptions, prescription errors persist and can result in life-threatening consequences.
- Birth injuries — The happiest day of your life should not be overshadowed by a terrifying outcome when a doctor's mistake results in your newborn's birth injuries. We hold the responsible parties accountable.
- Failure to diagnose — This kind of malpractice may involve a physician not ordering the appropriate tests to diagnose your condition correctly or failing to completely review your medical history and thereby endangering your health.
- Implementing dangerous devices — Although the FDA issues warnings about certain medical devices, doctors still promote the use of IUDs such as Mirena, hip implants such as the DePuy, and transvaginal mesh for pelvic and urinary problems.
- Using new technologies — Robotic surgeries (such as those using da Vinci robotic machines) and other experimental technologies have been linked to injuries and lawsuits.
Despite extensive training, some physicians are inept and others fail to monitor their patients’ conditions as diligently as they should. Even respected doctors can become complacent in their care, leading to life-threatening errors. No matter the cause of your medical malpractice injury, you are entitled to seek compensation for all of the damages that have resulted because of it. When your injury is caused by a medical device, we may also consider filing a products liability suit to recover damages for harm caused by a defective device.
Pursuing a successful medical malpractice claim
The Bureau of Justice Statistics reports that less than a quarter of medical malpractice cases result in a settlement for the plaintiff, so it’s important to choose an attorney wisely. Our experienced legal team provides:
- Vigorous advocacy — Our tenacious injury attorneys fight for the full measure of compensation you are due. For us, winning is personal.
- Expert testimony — Working with a team of medical experts, we thoroughly investigate your injuries and make the connections necessary to prove that medical negligence led to your injury, or even the death of a loved one.
- Single focus — Since we only handle personal injury cases, and have been focusing on those for decades, we offer an experienced, results-oriented team that provides a distinct advantage in your case.
If you have additional questions, please visit our malpractice FAQs page to learn more.
Make an appointment to speak with a legal team you can count on in your malpractice case
If you or a loved one has suffered an injury due to medical malpractice, call Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers at 757.455.0077 or contact us online to schedule a free case evaluation today. Our main office is in Norfolk with client meeting locations in Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, Newport News and Hampton, Virginia. We are always happy to come to you if you are too injured or ill to come to us.