Virginia Lawyers Assisting You After an Intersection Accident
Attorneys who understand that such accidents can raise complicated issues of fault
Accidents are always shocking and difficult for those involved. However, the aftermath of an intersection accident can be even more complex and trying. Certain accidents that take place at intersections can lead to protracted battles with insurance companies and negotiations.
If you have been struck by another vehicle at an intersection, do not let your situation become a stalemate. Our attorneys with Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers are skilled both in the courtroom and at the negotiating table. We understand the difficulties our clients face and work to get you the compensation you need.
Intersection accidents happen for a number of reasons
A study by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) found that the sources of intersection accidents could be classified under these categories:
- Inadequate surveillance — Inadequate surveillance, or failure to keep a proper lookout, is the simple error that occurs when drivers are required to look in a particular direction or use their mirrors to safely complete a maneuver but do not. This accounts for the vast majority of intersection accidents, occurring in slightly more than 44 percent of all collisions.
- False assumption of the other driver’s actions — Every driver must make split-second decisions about the intention of other motorists. Slight errors based on judgments about another driver’s timing or direction are the cause of 8.4 percent of all intersection accidents.
- An obstructed view —It is common for large vehicles and obstructions on sidewalks or corners to prevent you from being able to see an oncoming car or truck. Visual obstructions are the primary cause of 7.8 percent of all intersection accidents.
- An illegal maneuver —Traffic infractions are often viewed as minor matters, but an accident based on an illegal maneuver can have major costs. More than 6.8 percent of accidents at intersections are a result of traffic violations. Red light running or the failure to stop at a stop sign at an intersection, are significant causes of serious injuries to our clients. The cities of Newport News, Virginia Beach, Chesapeake and Norfolk have red light enforcement cameras at key intersections, but it’s impossible to police every intersection with cameras.
- Distracted driving —The rise of cellphone use as well as that of other mobile devices has led to an increase in distracted driving, especially among young drivers. Distracted driving comprises 5.7 percent of intersection accidents.
There are a number of other factors that lead to intersection accidents. Our attorneys know that successful recovery of damages depends on determining who and what caused your accident, to prove the other driver is at fault.
Most Dangerous Intersections in Hampton Roads
Some intersections are more dangerous than others, either because of traffic congestion or poor design. Here are some Hampton Roads intersections you should treat with extreme caution.
- Holland and Rosemont Roads in Virginia Beach – Numerous studies have shown the busy intersection of Holland and Rosemont Roads in Virginia Beach is one of the most dangerous in Tidewater.
- The Portsmouth/Nansemond/Washington in Suffolk – The stoplight controlled Portsmouth Boulevard, Nansemond Parkway and East Washington Street intersection is the most dangerous in Suffolk, according to the 2013 Hampton Roads Regional Safety Study.
- George Washington Highway and Victory Boulevard in Portsmouth – This busy, urban intersection, is routinely listed as the most dangerous in the city of Portsmouth.
- Jefferson Avenue and Oyster Point, Newport News – The intersection between Jefferson Avenue and Oyster Point Road was judged to be so dangerous, it was fitted with red light enforcement cameras. The crashes continued after the arrival of the cameras which were fitted on two other intersections on Jefferson Avenue.
- Battlefield Boulevard and Causeway Drive, Chesapeake – Battlefield Boulevard in Chesapeake has dozens of intersections that are hazardous to drivers. Recently drivers called on the city to redesign the hazardous intersection with Causeway Drive after a series of accidents.
How we assist you
If you have recently suffered an car accident and are coping with the aftermath, our personal injury attorneys can help by:
- Thoroughly investigating the incident ̶ We have dedicated investigators who can review every accident and look for minor details that often make a major difference in your case.
- Negotiating with other parties ̶ As your representatives, we act on your behalf in legal proceedings and other matters. We can negotiate with opposing parties, like insurance adjusters, so that you can get the level of compensation you need. We inform you of every offer and make sure that you are kept up to speed about every detail in your case.
- Representing you in court ̶ Our attorneys John Cooper, Jim Hurley, Bill O’Mara and Griff O’Hanlon have more than five decades of combined experience fighting for clients in court. If your case needs an experienced and aggressive trial attorney, we can help.
If you have questions about the legal process following a vehicle accident, speak with us to find out more.
Contact us if you were involved in an accident with injuries at an intersection
At Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers, we have experience representing clients injured in all kinds of vehicle collisions. If you’ve been injured in an intersection accident and want to know what your legal options are, contact us at 757.455.0077 or online to learn more in a free consultation. You will not receive a bill until you receive compensation.