Dedicated Attorneys Assist Victims of Accidents & Injuries in Portsmouth
Knowledge and skill focused on delivering positive results
Portsmouth, Virginia has a long and proud history as a navy town. First recognized as an ideal shipbuilding location in 1620, this city of about 95,000 people is the longtime home of the Norfolk Naval Shipyard, the Craney Island U.S. Naval Supply Center, and the Naval Medical Center Portsmouth. Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers is proud to serve the Portsmouth community by providing highly skilled and determined personal injury representation for victims of auto accidents, premises liability accidents, defective products and medical malpractice. If you are injured and you don’t know where to turn, trust our dedicated attorneys to help you pursue justice and recover the full compensation you deserve. We have a client meeting location in Olde Towne Portsmouth and can meet you at your Portsmouth home if you are injured.
The experience you need when you’re hurt in an auto accident
With the Elizabeth River on three sides of , traffic in Portsmouth is highly dependent on the West Norfolk Bridge, High Street West, Airline Boulevard, and Portsmouth Boulevard. Meanwhile, almost constant heavy traffic flows through Portsmouth on I-264 through the Downtown Tunnel into Norfolk. Portsmouth and Norfolk are also linked by the Midtown Tunnel. The heavy use of these arteries means that auto, truck, and motorcycle accidents occur frequently, due to:
- Aggressive driving
- Distracted driving
- Drunk driving
- Failing to observe a traffic signal or stop sign
- Failing to yield right of way
- Fatigued driving
- Speeding and reckless driving
- Texting while driving or using a cell phone
If you are injured, you may be eligible for compensation, but only if you can prove someone else was responsible. Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers is ready to help you make your case and maximize the amount you recover. Our attorneys draw on more than 60 years of combined experience to thoroughly investigate your accident. We consult with experts in accident reconstruction, interview potential witnesses, and depose potential defendants under oath, all to assemble the compelling evidence necessary to construct a convincing case.
With Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers, you can expect quality legal representation and personalized service. Our attorneys have not only recovered millions of dollars in damages for injured clients, we’ve also picked up numerous accolades attesting to our skill and dedication. Attorneys at our firm have earned an AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rating by Martindale-Hubbell® for high ethical standards and professional ability and the Client Champion Silver Award. We have been included in the Virginia Super Lawyers list, won admission to the Million Dollar Advocates Forum, and earned a perfect 10.0 Avvo Rating.
Thorough knowledge of various car accident and injury scenarios
In our practice, we have seen just about every type of vehicle collision imaginable, including:
- Head-on collisions — The deadliest type of crash occurs when a car drifts across an unguarded median into oncoming traffic or when a Portsmouth wrong way driver enters a freeway via an exit ramp into opposing traffic.
- Side swipe — Vehicles traveling in the same direction or in opposition can drift into contact when one driver is distracted, intoxicated or too drowsy to drive safely.
- Side impact — Also known as a T-bone wreck, this type of crash happens often when one car enters an intersection illegally, broadsiding a vehicle that had the right of way.
- Rear-end — Following too closely is one of the leading causes of accidents and invites rear-end collisions, especially in inclement weather.
- Multi-car pileups — Lack of visibility and lack of traction can turn a single crash into a chain reaction. Vehicles traveling too closely and at too great a speed for conditions are usually at fault.
- Rollovers — Poorly loading cargo or taking sharp turns at too great a speed can cause a rollover accident with tragic results. Rollover accidents have the highest fatality rate of any crash.
In addition to choosing an attorney who has successfully handled your type of accident case, you should also look for one who has recovered adequate compensation for your type of injury. Our attorneys have represented clients with a variety of serious and catastrophic injuries, including:
- Concussion and traumatic brain injury
- Crush injuries
- Displaced bone fractures
- Internal organ injury
- Lacerations and puncture wounds
- Lost limbs
- Neck and back injuries, including spinal paralysis
- Whiplash injuries, torn ligaments, and damaged discs
We also represent grieving families in actions for wrongful death.
Skilled representation for your Portsmouth personal injury case
Auto accidents are not the only type of injury case we manage. We also have extensive experience in cases arising from:
- Slip and fall —Portsmouth has many attractions including the Children's Museum of Virginia and the Naval Shipyard Museum. It's one of the few cities in the United States where you might see an aircraft carrier in dry dock. Other activities to enjoy include an afternoon stroll through the Olde Towne Business and Historical District, a ride on the Pokey Smokey II at the Portsmouth City Park, or a walk at Hoffler Creek. But, sadly, a hidden hazard at any location could cause a slip and fall accident, leaving you with a painful injury and a lengthy convalescence. While you’re working on your recovery, our injury lawyers can manage your injury claim.
- Defective consumer products — Every year, tens of thousands of Americans fall victim to injuries from defective auto parts, toys, electronics, and appliances. You can’t expect a large corporation to be sympathetic, but our legal team has the experience and resources to challenge powerful companies and hold them accountable.
- Defective medical devices and dangerous drugs — Drug and device manufacturers do a great deal of good for patients, but too often they let greed blind them to the negative impacts of their products on vulnerable patients who trust them to improve their health. If you’ve been harmed, trust our legal team to fight for justice.
- Medical malpractice — Portsmouth’s numerous fine healthcare facilities include Bon Secours Maryview Medical Center, the Naval Medical Center and Sentara Therapy Center – Portsmouth. Our city also has hundreds of skilled and dedicated healthcare providers. Still, medical errors are a leading source of accidental injury and death. If you suspect you are a victim of medical malpractice, our attorneys can provide the effective representation you need.
In every case we undertake, we are determined to fight for the maximum damage award or settlement possible, covering your medical bills, lost income, and pain and suffering.
But you have to act promptly. The Virginia statute of limitations typically allows you only two years from the date of your injury to seek compensation. Perhaps more importantly, an early start allows your lawyer to gather evidence before it disappears and to interview witnesses on the record before their memories fade.
Contact a determined injury lawyer in Portsmouth to assert your rights
Learn how Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers can manage your case during a free consultation with one of our experienced attorneys. We accept personal injury cases on a contingency basis, so you pay no legal fees until you recover compensation through a settlement or court verdict. Call us today at 757.455.0077 or contact our office online to schedule your appointment. Our Portsmouth office is located at 355 Crawford Street.
Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers
355 Crawford Street, Suite 600-D
Portsmouth, VA 23704
"You couldn't ask for a better personal injury law practice. All of the lawyers and staff at Cooper Hurley are top-notch professionals, and they are experts in the personal injury field. I would like to particularly commend Jim Hurley, Tara and Nicole for helping me through the entire process. I was injured in an auto accident, which is a stressful experience, but the staff at Cooper Hurley made the settlement process stress-free. They took care of everything, and were very compassionate and professional. Without hesitation, I would recommend them to anyone needing legal assistance in a personal injury case."
- Juliana P. ★★★★★
"Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers represented me after a bad accident that involved an amputation of my legs. John Cooper was amazing in getting everything to me and keeping me informed. I originally hired different lawyers and was not happy with their level of communication. John was excellent. Whatever I asked him to do he would find out and get back to me at short notice. Cooper Hurley were really professional. I was happy with the settlement I received."
-Luis A. ★★★★★
"I had a very great experience with Cooper Hurley. Bill was my lawyer and what I liked the most was that he made me feel like my case was the only case he was working on; very personal office they always make you feel welcomed and the time they took to close the case was less than a year and a half. I would recommend to anyone who needs a personal injury lawyer."
-LaSierra A. ★★★★★
See all client reviews